From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: hwoarang@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] autotools.eclass no longer inherits eutils; check your ebuilds!
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 05:53:54
1 On Mon, 21 May 2012 23:16:25 +0100
2 Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 05/21/2012 06:46 PM, Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
5 > > On May 20, autools.eclass was changed to no longer inherit eutils,
6 > > see
7 > > http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/eclass/autotools.eclass?r1=1.133&r2=1.134
11 > Relying on autotools.eclass for your eutils needs was always a
12 > > terrible idea, but a few ebuilds did it anyway. Those ebuilds are
13 > > now *broken* since they can no longer use epatch. See bug #416847
14 > > for an example.
15 > >
16 > > Check your ebuilds to make sure you inherit eutils in anything
17 > > that uses epatch!
18 > >
19 > > -Alexandre Rostovtsev.
22 > Excuse me but the way this change was handled is a bit depressing.
23 > First, the ebuilds should have been fixed to inherit eutils and then
24 > remove eutils from autotools. Now, a bunch of ebuilds are broken out
25 > of nowhere. I don't believe this issue was that urgent in order to
26 > justify the significant breakage of portage tree.
27
28 First of all, to quote devmanual:
29
30 | Before updating eutils or a similar widely used eclass, it is best to
31 | email the gentoo-dev list. It may be that your proposed change is
32 | broken in a way you had not anticipated> [...]. If you don't email
33 | gentoo-dev first, and end up breaking something, expect to be in a
34 | lot of trouble.
35
36 Not that this disrespect for this rule is something new...
39 Best regards,
40 Michał Górny