From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo theming during bootup
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 02:28:26
1 Hi all,
2
3 I've got some back-burner work on unified Gentoo theming for grub,
4 bootsplash, gdm/kdm [1]. (IOW, I spent a day doing research 2 months ago
5 and forgot about it until yesterday.) It's currently possible to have a
6 really awesome bootup, but it's quite a bit of work to configure and I
7 want to make it trivially easy.
8
9 I also share the opinion that we shouldn't go against upstream wishes
10 IRT branding, but if upstream encourages some fairly subtle branding
11 along with keeping their name visible, I'm for it.
12
13 This will help us update our "look" to catch up with a lot of other
14 distros I talk about in ideas.txt, found at [1], and make for an overall
15 slicker and cooler Gentoo desktop.
16
17 If anyone wants to help with design or turning stuff into working themes
18 for bootsplash, *dm, grub/gfxboot, etc, please email me. I don't have
19 time to do this by myself, and I've already talked to some people about
20 this but there can never be enough.
21
22 Any subsequent list discussions on this will occur on gentoo-desktop,
23 but I expect much of the collaboration to happen on IRC.
24
25 Thanks,
26 Donnie
27