From: Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Defining the Tree: a proto-GLEP.
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:07:13
1 Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > Continuing in the series of issues raised during the previous package
3 > manager discussions, I'd like to continue by mentioning the tree
4 > format. At present, it isn't defined beyond "what the current portage
5 > supports", which is frankly a fairly silly way to do things. Following
6 > discussion in #gentoo-portage, I'd like to set out to change that.
7 >
8 > My current idea is to draw up a formal specification of what ebuilds
9 > are allowed to do, and what to assume about the environment in which
10 > they run, as well as defining the formats of everything under
11 > profiles/, metadata.xml files, and other auxiliary information in the
12 > tree. I would envision the first version of this document to more or
13 > less codify existing practise, perhaps excluding some dubious tricks
14 > that are known to break in some cases. Generally, it should be possible
15 > to make the tree conform to the first version of the specification by
16 > changes no more significant than currently have QA bugs filed for them.
17 >
18 > It seems fairly obvious that any effort of this kind could potentially
19 > have implications, albeit hopefully very minor, across more or less all
20 > aspects of the tree, and so I'd like to seek as wide a range of input
21 > as possible before going ahead with it. The QA and Portage teams, based
22 > on my enquiries in IRC, seem broadly in favour, and I would imagine
23 > that this could be very helpful to Gentoo/ALT as well, so I'd like
24 > opinions from others at this point. Would you support such an effort,
25 > whether passively or actively? Would you oppose it? If so, why? Final
26 > implementation of it would I assume require the Council's approval;
27 > while I won't ask at this stage for a formal discussion I'd appreciate
28 > the views of its members on whether such an initiative is likely to
29 > pass.
30 >
31 > Any input is gratefully received.
32 >
33 I like the idea. This would be some kind of portage-tree standard?
34 --
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list