From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub:2 keywords
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 18:30:53
On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote: >> As far as I can tell, grub:0 only half-way updates itself; there is a >> large ewarn telling the user that they must take action to install the >> new version in the MBR. This seems a bit broken to me. > > In what way.  As far as I can tell I haven't gotten a grub upgrade in > the last 5-7 years.  Since it is built static on amd64 (or at least it > was when I last installed it) nothing ever breaks.  Maybe if I changed > my boot partition to a different filesystem it might have issues, but > grub just strikes me as one of those aint-broke-don't-fix things. >
Right. I was contradicting vapier's statement that grub:0 automatically updates itself. It doesn't. It does copy all of the images to /boot so that the grub shell can be used to install an MBR image. grub:2 no longer has an interactive shell and grub2-install must be used. Therefore, copying files to /boot in the ebuild is completely pointless.