From: Roy Marples <roy@×××××××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Testing to see if services have crashed on hardened
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:30:40
Hi List.

I've just removed the code to check for euid when running services and instead
relying on permissions of the service state dir and testing errno. This is a
good thing, but it does have one side effect.

OpenRC can track daemons by how they were started. So every time you run
rc-status it tests each reported service to ensure all daemons are up.  This
also works fine unprivileged on normal boxes - except for hardened where
users can only see their own processes.

This isn't really an easy answer, as we could have installed OpenRC in a
prefix where this wouldn't apply, but we don't know that either.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks

Roy