From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 15:59:35
1 On 03/09/2012 07:51 AM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 07:41:09 -0800
3 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 03/09/2012 07:21 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
6 >>> The advantage that the eapi function has over a comment is that
7 >>> it's not magic -- it's just normal bash syntax. So we've addressed
8 >>> that issue at a small performance cost (we're really only sourcing
9 >>> the ebuild up to 'exit').
10 >>
11 >> Also consider the case where a user syncs after not having updated
12 >> for a couple of months, and the tree contains some ebuilds with EAPIs
13 >> that are not supported by the currently installed package manager.
14 >>
15 >> In this case, when resolving dependencies and filtering ebuilds based
16 >> on whether or not their EAPI is supported, spawning bash once per
17 >> ebuild is much more costly than the alternatives.
18 >
19 > isnt the whole point of the proposal to get eapi without sourcing ?
20 >
21 > so that we can use new bash features at local or global scope without
22 > risking that people with an old bash get syntax errors trying to get
23 > the eapi
24
25 Right. Michael has lost sight of the goal and is moving off on a tangent.
26 --
27 Thanks,
28 Zac