From: Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policies for games dirs, new group "gamestat" for sgid binaries
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 05:07:02
1 On 02/21/2015 01:35 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2
3 > Personally, I think that controlling who is allowed to run certain
4 > types of applications via group membership is a great idea. We
5 > should introduce that approach for other applications too. How
6 > about an "editors" group? Text editors are potentially dangerous
7 > because they allow users to modify files. Therefore, the system
8 > administrator should add only trusted users to the "editors" group
9 > so they can run programs like emacs, nano, or vim from the
10 > app-editors category.
13 Protect the permissions on the files, not the editors - there's always
14 another way to get content into a file if you have write permission to it.
15 If you try to do that with a g+xo-x, then you're going to have to do the
16 same for every single command that can put output in a file (sed, curl,
17 wget, heck, anything that can be piped, every shell), and then your system
18 doesn't even need users anymore, because no user can do anything at all for
19 fear they might write to a file!