From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-arch/bzip2: bzip2-1.0.5-r1.ebuild
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 21:11:06
1 On Tuesday, June 07, 2011 16:47:29 Dane Smith wrote:
2 > To be perfectly blunt, no small part of what caused this current fiasco
3 > was this exact attitude. I don't like the current policy either, it's
4 > far too wide. However, if you go back and look at why it even *got* to
5 > council, it was because you (and others), decided that they weren't
6 > going to give any regard to the requests of some of their fellow devs
7 > about ChangeLogging removals.
8
9 how is this relevant at all ? i dont find value in these entries, other
10 people do. my attitude towards how worthless they are has 0 bearing on the
11 policy towards creating it.
12
13 > You and I both know that a removal can (and sometimes does) cause breakage.
14 > These kinds of changes are things that your fellow devs (as well as many
15 > users) would like to see in ChangeLogs. I do *not* think that this is an
16 > unreasonable request. I find it to be a little.. inconsiderate I guess, when
17 > any developer fails to heed a reasonable request from another developer or
18 > user. I know I personally try to accommodate people if they ask me to do
19 > something slightly differently to make their lives easier. Why is it that
20 > you can't do that? Is running echangelog (or hell, scripting something) for
21 > a removal really that hard or undesirable? Can you really not spare the
22 > extra 10 seconds? I mean, come on.
23
24 if you want useless information, then automate it. there's no reason at all
25 to not do so. i prefer to keep useful information in the changelogs of
26 packages i maintain without cluttering up with noise.
27 -mike