From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New eclass: mate
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 16:19:38
1 On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 08:55:56 -0400
2 NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o> wrote:
3 [...]
4 > The idea was partly due to consistency. Rather than calling mate_this
5 > gnome2_that, it'd provide one namespace. Additionally as mentioned in
6 > my initial email, since GNOME and MATE aren't always in synch, if the
7 > gnome2 eclass chooses to change something, and it's better that mate
8 > eclass stays with what we have, all I have to do is fill in the stub,
9 > and all ebuilds retain their current implementation. Otherwise, I'd
10 > have to mass edit all ebuilds to replace the offending gnome2_ with
11 > mate_.
12
13 yep, makes sense
14
15 > Furthermore, there was a discussion a long time ago about how
16 > functions shouldn't be called without an explicit inherit. That means
17 > that even if the mate eclass uses gnome2, if I opt to call gnome2
18 > directly in the ebuild, I have to explicitly inherit it (which mostly
19 > defeats the purpose of inheriting it in the mate eclass).
20
21 nah, this isnt true in your case: you can define mate.eclass' API to
22 always include gnome2.eclass, making it ok to use gnome2 functions by
23 inheriting only mate.eclass.
24 this means you can never drop gnome2.eclass from mate.eclass though,
25 which may not be desired
28 > This has an
29 > added bonus, which is that the gnome2 eclass inherits gnome.org, so I
30 > have to make sure to re-inherit mate-desktop.org whenever gnome2 is
31 > (re)inherited to prevent all of variables like SRC_URI from being
32 > overwritten. Hope that I'm conveying that logic adequately.
33
34 ok, maybe you could add a comment that no ebuild should inherit both
35 gnome2 & mate eclasses then