From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tr1 dependencies
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 18:41:49
1 On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:47:09 -0600 Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | > * Hard dep upon g++-4.1, which isn't available for all archs. This
4 | > doesn't even work because there's no guarantee that >=4.1 is being
5 | > used even if it's installed.
6 |
7 | I haven't done my homework, so I'll just ask: Is there a reasonable
8 | timeframe for 4.1 on archs that we're using? Is there actual evidence
9 | that tr1-using packages are going to become prevalent before 4.1+
10 | becomes ubiquitous?
11
12 A few archs are having pretty big issues with 4.1. In the mean time,
13 tr1 is so damned useful that programmers are going to take a lot of
14 persuading *not* to use it.
15
16 | An alternative, which would be a real pain, is to have <g++-4.1
17 | ebuilds build boost tr1 libraries as part of the ebuild, and then
18 | have compatibility libraries for people who remove old versions of
19 | g++, just like we do now. The benefit would be that at the cost of
20 | forcing everybody to upgrade g++ we could rely on tr1 existing
21 | everywhere.
22
23 Even that won't necessarily work, since g++-4.1 doesn't include a full
24 tr1 implementation. It includes the useful stuff, but it's missing the
25 random number and regex parts of the specification -- which,
26 fortunately, are nowhere near as popular as hash tables and smart
27 pointers.
30 Ciaran McCreesh
31 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
32 Web : http://ciaranm.org/