From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Pending removal(?) of media-libs/pdflib
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 08:00:58
1 On Tuesday, February 22, 2011 02:29:06 Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Mon, 21 Feb 2011, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
3 > > The bugs are stacking up[1] and upstream only offers a paid version of
4 > > pdflib-8[2]. It is my understanding that there is no way for us to
5 > > package future versions and the bundled libs are vulnerable[3].
6 > >
7 > > So, should it be removed? For more info, see the tracker bug for its
8 > > removal[1], there are a number of rdeps that will require fixing[4].
9 >
10 > sci-visualization/gnuplot[pdf] is currently linking against pdflib.
11 > I'm going to remove that dependency, because in my understanding,
12 > clause 2.1 of the PDFLite license does not allow such linking.
13 > (It allows it for programs under an OSI approved license. However, the
14 > gnuplot license is free, but not OSI approved.)
15
16 that might disallow it for binaries, but it doesnt disallow it from being used
17 in ebuilds. same situation as binary kernel drivers -- make it the end user's
18 problem.
19 -mike