From: Chris Bainbridge <C.J.Bainbridge@×××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] speeding up emerge sync...and being nice to the mirrors
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 09:39:24
1 On Thursday 15 May 2003 13:50, leon j. breedt wrote:
2 >
3 > only one file to diff, which in my mind should be more
4 > efficient. no more waiting for the 40000 file list to
5 > arrive.
6 >
7 > or is there a reason this is a stupid idea? :)
8 >
9 > leon
10 >
11 > --
12 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
13
14 I once did some tests with rsyncing tar files rather than individual files,
15 see http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=10108 The conclusion was that
16 using tar archives gave around 85%-90% improvement for general sources (think
17 rsyncing distfiles) and 35% improvement for the portage tree. Of course
18 theres no fundamental reason for this, messing about with rsync options
19 (block size, etc.) might give similar improvements.
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list