From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] ACCEPT_RESTRICT for questionable values of RESTRICT
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:27:39
1 On 1/11/07, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 09:40 +0100, Jakub Moc wrote:
3 > > into pkg_setup and be done with it; no need for RESTRICT=sandbox or
4 > > ACCEPT_RESTRICT. Users can decide whether they really wish to install
5 > > such app and disable sandbox temporarily if they think it's a good idea.
6 >
7 > Uhh... you missed RESTRICT=userpriv and the upcoming RESTRICT=unattended
8 > when calling for no "ACCEPT_RESTRICT"...
9 >
10 > > If you'd like to commit this to the official tree, then either fix it
11 > > properly or don't commit such stuff at all.
12 >
13 > That's very easy for someone to say when they're not the ones involved
14 > in the work. Placing artificial limitations such as this really is a
15 > bad idea. After all, we're all about empowering the user to make the
16 > choice, so let them make the choice. If users want the package, why
17 > should we stop them when it is technically feasible and not completely
18 > asinine? Besides, if I want to maintain some nasty application that
19 > doesn't work with sandbox, who are you (or anyone, for that matter) to
20 > tell me that I cannot?
21 >
22 > Hell, we could even *not* have sandbox/userpriv in the default
23 > ACCEPT_RESTRICT, since they have possible security implications.
24 >
25 > --
26 > Chris Gianelloni
27 > Release Engineering Strategic Lead
28 > Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
29 > Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
30 > Gentoo Foundation
36 I know at least one person who have an automated/cron-jobbed upgrade
37 system, and I believe it would be useful as an extra application of
38 ACCEPT_RESTRICT for them to auto-accept upgrades which can be done
39 without breaking things without user interaction, and then
40 occasionally have them doing a manual emerge run with ACCEPT_RESTRICT
41 including the interactive requests to do the items which need their
42 presence.
43
44 My 2 cents.
45