From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI definition Was: [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 00:47:06
1 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk> posted
2 20071228122810.1bbe2637@×××××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Fri, 28 Dec
3 2007 12:28:10 +0000:
4
5 > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 13:25:13 +0100
6 > "Santiago M. Mola" <coldwind@g.o> wrote:
7 >> On Dec 28, 2007 1:03 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
8 >> <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
9 >> > There's no particular reason that new version formats can't be
10 >> > introduced in a new EAPI so long as the version strings don't appear
11 >> > in ebuilds using older EAPIs or in profiles. Ditto for naming rules.
12 >>
13 >> Errr... so should we use new files in profiles for such new formats?
14 >> (for example, p.masking an ebuild with a new version format).
15 >
16 > Possibly. Currently there's simply no way of doing it, nor of using
17 > non-EAPI-0 features anywhere in profiles (you can't, for example, use
18 > slot deps in package.mask).
19
20 Requesting clarification of a point, here:
21
22 I understand the ban on non-EAPI-0 features in in-tree profiles, since
23 users could be using old PMs, but it's fine using them in /etc/portage/*,
24 provided one has upgraded to an appropriately compatible PM, correct?
25
26 I ask because based on the kde overlay documentation, I have a lot of
27 entries like this in /etc/portage/package.keywords:
28
29 # kde4 overlay kde-base
30 kde-base/kdelibs:kde-svn **
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list