From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Categories for GUI stuff x11 and wayland
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 21:30:29
1 On Wed, 30 Aug 2017 19:37:09 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 > That could be a lot of package-move churn. It arguably might make
5 > sense to keep the current names "for legacy reasons". (Or not. Just
6 > speculating here.)
7
8 For sure it would require touching lots of packages. Its not really a
9 minor thing, thus bring it up for discussion. Likely need to take into
10 consideration sooner than later.
11
12 For any new packages, likely best they go into proper new categories
13 then continuing on the legacy. Then it becomes a matter of what to do
14 for others. Lots of packages moves would not be fun.
15
16 Though something similar was done recently with vpn packages.
17
18 > FWIW, there was some related discussion awhile back on USE=X,
19 > proposing USE=gui instead, but I don't know what became of it.
20 > Perhaps gui-* category names if that's actually moving forward, in
21 > ordered to maintain a bit of consistency and for lack of a better
22 > idea?
23
24 I think that is different as you do need X now to differentiate between
25 say X and Wayland. If it was just generic stuff then GUI would make
26 sense. Though usually other stuff handles that, gtk, qt, etc USE flag.
29 William L. Thomson Jr.