From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ANN: broken-up kde ebuilds (aka 'emerge kmail')
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:39:50
1 On Tuesday 19 October 2004 20:23, Roman Gaufman wrote:
2 > err, DO_NOT_COMPILE="kmail" in /etc/make.conf does just that, and
3 > supports every package or even service KDE has to offer. Feel free to
4 > not compile ksmserver or kinit as well -- this will break things, but
5 > the fact is, gentooists always had the possibility to do this!
6 >
7 > What exactly do you propose here? -- do you actually propose gentoo
8 > developers should split the metapackages into close to 100 ebuilds? --
9
10 I'm not proposing anything. I'm announcing the fact that I and another Gentoo
11 developer (motaboy) have actually split the monolithic ebuilds into well over
12 300 new packages.
13
14 > what gain over DO_NOT_COMPILE does this give?
15
16 It allows portage to manage interdependencies and, in fact, everything else it
17 manages. Heavy use of DO_NOT_COMPILE, such as emerging only kmail + its deps
18 from all of kdepim (of course each user has to figure out for himself what
19 those deps are, first), is more or less equivalent to linux from scratch.
20 It'd be manual building, except portage will think it knows what is
21 installed, and will be wrong.
24 Dan Armak
25 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
26 Matan, Israel
27 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
28 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951