From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please don't use IUSE=static-libs unless really necessary
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:06:26
1 On Monday, September 19, 2011 11:35:09 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:11:31 -0400 Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > > > by that token, i'll go ahead and remove glibc's static libraries
4 > > > > since upstream doesn't even support static linking
5 > > >
6 > > > I'm probably ignorant so you'd have to elaborate more on that to
7 > > > make me see a problem there.
8 > >
9 > > think about it a little bit. your system is using static binaries
10 > > right now, and considering you like to push systemd + initramfs so
11 > > much, i would have thought you'd realize the implications more
12 > > quickly.
13 >
14 > Hm, I seem to fail to notice other static binaries than busybox. And I
15 > don't think I use any specific configuration which makes me need static
16 > binaries;
17
18 by default, tools that are needed to easily recover a system
19 (busybox/cryptsetup/lvm/etc...) are IUSE=+static, and every binary that goes
20 into initramfs is statically linked.
21
22 > I'm following the _original_ *nix idea of keeping it simple.
23
24 you're confusing the notion of tradeoffs. the amount of tooling that shared
25 libraries take to work at all let alone being stable is significantly higher
26 than a single static binary.
27 -mike