From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Downgrading glibc?
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:23:07
1 Il giorno ven, 11/02/2011 alle 15.37 +0100, Sebastian Pipping ha
2 scritto:
3 > Portage will propose a downgrade of glibc on emerge-update-world, okay.
4 > How bad would that be? Does it cause any other trouble?
5
6 And glibc will refuse to downgrade unless you hack the ebuild. Now let's
7 say that the user rebuilt gcc after the glibc upgrade, and now forces
8 downgrade; after forcing downgrade, gcc will fail to find the symbols
9 with higher versioning (GNU versioning), which means it won't run.
10
11 > In your eyes, is there anything we can do to improve the current situation?
12
13 Every time a base package changes that could cause huge breakage, mask,
14 send a message to qa@g.o to start up testing ebuild $foo with an
15 unmask list, and wait till we give the go before unmasking.
18 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
19 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/