From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Python Probs
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:29:29
1 drobbins@g.o wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 05:35:19PM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
4 >
5 > > Do we get a problem if we change spython to resist in /usr and then merge
6 > > over libs from dev-lang/python?
7 >
8 > Yes, that would be possible, but I'd need to do a lot of file comparisons to
9 > eliminate duplicate files in dev-lang/python.
10
11 Simply merging over like it was with sys-devel/python and dev-lang/python ?
15 > > If not we can drop sys-devel/python and if someone needs python he can use
16 > > dev-lang/python with or without tcl-tk/X support (use tcl-tk).
17 >
18 > Well, I'd like to have a decent implementation of python in the base distribution.
19 > Personally, I like the "rebuild sys-devel/python if you need X support" solution.
22 > If you like, I can build the python.tbz2 over here on the server, where I don't
23 > have X or tcl/tk.
24
25 I allways thought sys contains everything required to build itself and everythin
26 required for
27 a minimum runtime system.
28 perl is needed to build some of the sys packages, thats why it is there.
29 python is not required for building and not for runtime, so it is not there.
30
31 If you insist in having python in sys.tbz2 I can include a version compiled without
32 use tcl-tk
33 in the sys.tbz2 but dev-lang is the place. :-)
34
35 Bye Achim
39 > --
40 > Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>