From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 01:39:20
1 On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 01:18:01PM -0700, Raymond Jennings wrote:
2 > Personally I think that merging things into /usr is a major policy decision
3 > that is likely to contravene upstream installation locations. I wouldn't
4 > do it lightly, if at all.
5
6 Actually, there are upstreams that already do this, and we are the ones
7 that move things around.
8
9 Specifically, one example is coreutils. The ebuild installs everything
10 in /usr/bin, then we move all of the binaries around.
11
12 Also, any time we run gen_usr_ldscript in an ebuild this is going
13 against upstream installation locations.
14
15 William