From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy for late/slow stabilizations
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 19:54:26
1 On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 07:37:39PM +0100, Tony Chainsaw Vroon wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2010-06-27 at 18:04 +0300, Markos Chandras wrote:
3 > > As many of you have already noticed, there are some arches that are quite
4 > > slow on stabilizations. This leads to deprecated stabilizations e.g a
5 > > package is stabilized after 60 days which makes that version of
6 > > the specific package obsolete and not worth to stabilize anymore.
7 >
8 > So you would suggest to be like Ubuntu and say "we can not be bothered
9 > to support any minority architectures anymore". This effectively
10 > disbands all architecture teams except AMD64 and X86; it should be
11 > subject to the same scrutiny (I suggest a council vote) as a GLEP or
12 > EAPI change.
13 > Personally I would like to hear stronger reasons then "it inconveniences
14 > me when a bug I file is open longer then a month" to destroy the current
15 > diversity of supported architectures (be it PowerPC or a prefix
16 > installation on OS X).
17 >
18 > Regards,
19 > Tony V.
20
21 Oh come on. I never said to stop supporting those arches. I just said to
22 shrink their stable tree. What do you suggest? Pretend to have active
23 exotic arches just to look shiny and pretty?
26 Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
27 Gentoo Linux Developer
28 Web: http://hwoarang.silverarrow.org