From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: sys-libs/ncurses: punted from system in profiles
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 05:31:49
1 Alec Warner posted on Tue, 06 Dec 2011 08:50:52 -0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>> ncurses is no longer part of the system deps.  in practice, this
7 >>> probably won't make a difference to most people since bash itself
8 >>> depends on ncurses,
9 >>> but it does make embedded/etc... simpler.
10 >>
11 >> Hmm, I wonder how much further we'll have to go before you could use
12 >> portage to build an initramfs.  :)
13 >
14 > Whatever man, look at all this bloat!
15 >
16 > virtual/ssh sys-apps/kbd sys-apps/texinfo
17 >
18 > Ok thats about all I could find ;p
19
20 I've wanted ssh out of @system for years, but found I had other windmills
21 to tilt at. I do have a netbook and use ssh between my workstation and
22 it, but for years I didn't, and surely, there's a lot of other gentoo
23 users to whom that applies as well.
24
25 I'd argue that ssh no more belongs in the system set than does xorg-
26 server. They're both at the same level of optional, or at least arguably
27 should be, on a gentoo system.
28
29 Of course the same applies to kbd and texinfo. All three should be
30 packages that users can pull in if they need them, just as they pull in
31 xorg-server if they need it.
32
33 But I've tilted enough at that windmill for now...
38 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman