From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dummy-sources
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:29:37
1 Ok, there have been a few replies and well, injecting some official (i.e.
2 in-portage) kernel sources may not be the ideal solution. However looks like
3 nobody mentioned the following, so I'll take a shot:
4
5 Let go back to the purpose. User wants to patch together his own kernel,
6 configure and install it, all in all is not a 5 min undertaking. What about
7 then just creating some dummy-sources under PORTAGE_OVERLAY? (make sure that
8 ebuild has PROVIDE=virtual/linux-sources, or just inherit kernel instead)
9 This will only take a minute and will only add to the process that is already
10 manual and best of all - you need to do it only once.
11 If you want to be really fancy (but depending on where you start and what
12 patches you want to apply it may even save some time in the future) you can
13 even create your own ebuild ;) instead of just dummy one.
14
15 In short, I think in this case (and for this particular purpose) providing
16 central dummy-sources does not significantly help already simple ask. However
17 I agree that generic dummy-package's may be usefull in certain situations,
18 but then lets may be wait until another situation that warrants it comes
19 aroung?
20
21 George