From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OT Copyright -> meson.eclass third draft
Date: Fri, 05 May 2017 18:38:19
1 On Fri, 5 May 2017 14:31:17 -0400
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 5 May 2017 18:20:43 +0000
5 > Erik Närström <erik.narstrom@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 > > I'snt copyright deth of author +70yrs?
8 >
9 > Yes for work that is copyright to say you or me. Something copyright
10 > to an immortal entity I believe is different. Even if Gentoo ended,
11 > not sure that is the same as a person dying. We essential give up our
12 > copyright when you put Gentoo's copyright on there. I think it would
13 > have to include a persons name for the death term to apply.
14 >
15 > I believe 95-120 years is the duration.
16 > https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ15a.pdf
19 That is for the United States, not the world. Seems most others go with
20 the author aspect. But I am not sure how that carries over to entities.
21 At least in the US, this stuff that is copyright Gentoo is bound to
22 those terms.
23
24 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_term
25
26 OT....
27 Corporate personhood is one of the most contentious things in the US.
28 IMHO it was the reason for the civil war not slavery etc. If it was
29 slavery no need for civil rights. It was about coporate personhood.
30 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood
31
32 This amendment, super abstract. Not sure software exists this abstract
33 in nature....
34
35 "As a matter of interpretation of the word "person" in the Fourteenth
36 Amendment, U.S. courts have extended certain constitutional protections
37 to corporations. "
38 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
44 William L. Thomson Jr.