From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 01:58:03
1 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk> posted
2 20071221135922.3781ecdd@×××××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Fri, 21 Dec
3 2007 13:59:22 +0000:
4
5 > On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 08:43:43 -0500
6 > Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
7 >> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
8 >> > Please don't comment any further until you understand how this whole
9 >> > thing works.
10 >>
11 >> I think this is a bit of an unrealistic expectation. This change
12 >> impacts EVERYBODY - devs, users, etc.
13
14 > What. It's a small change that's only visible to developers and power
15 > users.
16
17 But it affects all developers (and power users) in the routine way they
18 do their job, dealing with ebuilds (or ebuilds plus whatever, if this
19 GLEP goes thru). As such, it's a "big" change, because it affects how a
20 lot of people do their routine work.
21
22 Yes, that's quibbling over semantics and viewpoint, but it's obvious
23 /some/ people consider it a big change, big enough for them to make a big
24 deal about, anyway, which is what matters in terms of discussion and
25 ultimate acception/rejection of the GLEP.
26
27 >> Makes a low-level detail more visible to users.
28 >
29 > Users don't see .ebuild files.
30
31 "Gentoo users", as often used in the context of this list (from my
32 observation), do. "Gentoo users" are, as used here, "Gentoo system
33 sysadmins" by another name. As such, they've always been expected to be
34 at what the general IT world would consider at minimum "power user",
35 certainly not the "luser" that's the general IT world's usage of "user".
36 By definition, "Gentoo users" are expected to be able to RTFM, and
37 expected to actually /enjoy/ the extra control of being able to mess with
38 ebuild files and the like. Otherwise, why are they using Gentoo at all,
39 when it's targeted at that "power user", and there are other
40 distributions out there directly targeted at the "(l)user" level?
41
42 So, "users", as used on this list, *do* see ebuild files, or at minimum,
43 cannot be reasonably said *not* to see them, since many of them in fact
44 do see them and make use of them, in overlays and the like.
45
46 As for the generally IT world usage of the term, (l)user, that doesn't
47 come up so often here, because it's not what we deal with. Dealing with
48 them would be the job of /our/ users -- Gentoo sysadmins by another name.
49
50 >> You can't make a wild change to how EAPIs are specified - since old PMs
51 >> will expect it to be in the filename in a particular format.
52 >
53 > You can make entirely arbitrary changes to EAPIs with suffixes, provided
54 > only that you don't use either .ebuild or .ebuild-(any-existing-eapi).
55
56 OK, first, a comment on the GLEP itself: I just looked at it again, and
57 realized it doesn't actually /specify/ the name format in so many words
58 or in commonly accepted syntax form. One can see what's expected based
59 on the /examples/, but it's not specified... anywhere that I could see.
60
61 So the GLEP needs something like the below (may not be technically
62 correct, but as an example to be corrected as necessary when added to the
63 GLEP) syntax specified:
64
65 <PF>.ebuild[-<suffix>]
66
67 IMO that's the key to beginning to clear up my (I think former)
68 confusion. Without that clearly stated, I was conflating the two
69 possible changes, the one given by the GLEP, and the one left unspec-ed,
70 and thus reserved for the future and/or other non-Gentoo usage,
71 extensions /other/ than .ebuild[-<suffix>].
72
73 Given the conflation, I was then left confused by the GLEP requirement
74 that the EAPI not be changed from that found in the filename (with the
75 filename EAPI defaulting to 0 if not given), set against the argument
76 that EAPI could then at some point be made dynamic, or otherwise less
77 firmly specified than filename semantics requires. Separating the
78 concepts, then, clears up the confusion, since the possibility is left
79 open to change to something /other/ than .ebuild[-<suffix], say fbuild,
80 in the future (or for other than main Gentoo tree) as necessary, and the
81 new (fbuild or whatever) format would be free to break all the current
82 rules associated with .ebuild[-<suffix>] as deemed necessary.
83
84 So now I see how you could state they must remain the same (in the glep)
85 yet allow for dynamically setting them ("post-source") in future non-
86 ebuild* formats.
87
88 Further suggestion for the GLEP, then: In addition to specifying syntax
89 explicitly, note explicitly as well, that this glep deals with .ebuild*
90 only, and that one possible mechanism for future incompatible changes
91 would therefore be to change the extension to something other
92 than .ebuild*.
93
94 This should eliminate an entire class of objections (and simple
95 confusion), including my main previous one, due to the present less than
96 clear specification and the confusion it caused.
97
98 (/NOW/ I see...! =8^)
103 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
106 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list