From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in dev-python/PyZilla: PyZilla-0.1.0.ebuild ChangeLog metadata.xml
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 13:44:39
1 On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 03/27/2011 02:47 AM, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
3 >> If you prohibit people from doing that, they'll just commit it
4 >> normally, and then remove themselves a week later.
5 >
6 > Why does anyone need to *add* a package that is maintainer-needed? This is
7 > one of the problems of the gentoo-x86 tree - too many maintainer-needed
8 > packages.
9
10 I'm just pointing out that if you prohibit that by policy, this is
11 what people will do. The real problem is that maintainer-needed
12 packages are allowed to remain in the tree *indefinitely*.
13
14 >> I propose that we should be more aggressive about package.masking (for
15 >> removal) all maintainer-needed packages from the tree by doing that
16 >> one month after they become maintainer-needed. If someone doesn't
17 >> volunteer to take care of it, it probably wasn't important anyway.
20 > That is abit extreme for me (read: I don't have motivation to fight the
21 > flames), but I wouldn't complain if someone else did it to be honest.
24 Just start removing old[1] maintainer-needed packages. If people
25 complain, tell them to start maintaining it. If they continue to
26 complain, ignore them. As tree-cleaner, you have the power to do this
27 and not take bullshit from people about it.
30 1. Set old as one month, with a 2 month package.mask duration before
31 it's removed.
32 --
33 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
34