From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resolve build time default editor dependency. (was: How get ebuild provider virtual/category.)
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 14:17:55
1 On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 04:21:21PM +0300, Peter Volkov (pva) wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 12:15 +0000, Tavis Ormandy wrote:
3 > > The only `hardcoded` editor is the fallback editor for
4 > > visudo
5 >
6 > And this is the problem I'm talking about. I do not see any reasons to
7 > keep this not working fallback. There are parts of code that just do not
8 > work in Gentoo.
11 Talking specifically about sudo, I think you're making a big deal out of
12 a very minor thing, primarily because I cannot think of a sane example
13 of when $EDITOR and $VISUAL are not set and visudo (which requires an
14 interactive editor) would be invoked.
15
16 If you can give some examples, maybe I would understand.
17
18 > > which can be set with the editor default in sudoers.
19 >
20 > That's good. But some packages (I'm talking about practically *all*
21 > crontab, vipw, vigr and may be other applications) do not have such
22 > configuration file to configure that default editor.
23
24 I dont have much of an opinion on these things, although I think
25 expecting /bin/vi to be an screen oriented interactive editor (not
26 nescessarily vi) should be a sane assumption, and if it isnt, that is
27 the real bug.
28
29 > And IMO configuration file should change *sane* defaults but I do not
30 > think nano is sane default ;)
31
32 I really hate nano and pico, I cannot understand how people use them, it
33 isnt the default because I'm a closet pico fan, I can assure you :)
34
35 sudo's default fallback is /bin/vi, but I received some bugs about this
36 several years ago, and after some discussion on -dev, we decided that
37 nano should take this place. Things have changed since then, nano used
38 to be `special` in that we could make assumptions about it, maybe i'll
39 change it back to /bin/vi, but I dont think it matters much.
43 taviso@××××××××××××.org | finger me for my pgp key.