From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Stephen Clowater <steve@×××××××××××××××××.org>, Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Installer For Gentoo
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 02:58:43
1 On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 12:02:52PM -0400, Stephen Clowater wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Hi All, I've recived some good responses and seen some good discusion
6 > from my inital post.
7 >
8 > There are two things I think need to be cleared up first.
9 >
10 > In order for gentoo to become a distro that can be used in corprate
11 > enviornments, it needs an installer that can do much of the
12 > configurations on it. For example, if I have a rendering farm of 1000
13 > sgi machines, and I want to install gentoo on all of them, under the
14 > conventional systme, that just isnt pratical.
15 Even the conventional redhat installs aren't practical for network-size
16 installs. System imaging is definetly the way to go for the most part
17 for such setups, but nothing should preclude having some automated
18 program that can take a configuration file, so that I can boot off a CD,
19 run a single command and leave the box going (or even integrate that
20 command into the netboot/cd init). I've got 5 1/2 machines running
21 Gentoo at home presently, 3 of those are for my development work only,
22 and get re-installed approx once a month to test various things from a
23 clean state.
24
25 Cutting short most of the rest of your email here, with such an
26 automated install, I'd far far prefer that the entire configuration can
27 be specified explictly, and not be detected in any way.
28
29 > Now, I know for the most part, what needs to be done to generate
30 > configuration options on x86, what I am not sure about, is how to do it
31 > on other archs, such as sparc or hppa. For example, CFLAGS for x86 in
32 > make.conf are easy.
33 I wrote genflags for this reason exactly (and I know that the CHOST
34 value is wrong atm in it). It works on all platforms Gentoo does, and
35 some Gentoo doesn't even.
36
37 > for USE, you can make a list that includes of any package selected by
38 > the user, that has a corrisponding entry in use.desc in
39 > /usr/portage/profiles
40 This is inherantly bad. As an example, I have mysql installed, but the
41 ONLY package I compile with USE=mysql is PHP. Likewise I compile PHP
42 with USE="-java -qt", as I don't want java or qt support in there.
43
44 > after this we just make sure in the package list, the user chooses a
45 > cron dameon, and system logger, and add a few very common things (like
46 > netkit-telnetd) which can be checked as default
47 *chokes on mention of telnet in a default install*
48 SSH _only_ never telnet unless you absolutely have to.
49 Again, this can be just specified in a configuration file.
50
51 > The only other thing that we come to that we should find a good way to
52 > do is kernel configuration. I konw we can simply compile everything as
53 > modules by default, and let the the system load them on an as-needed
54 > basis. However, I am wondering if there is a particular pattern of
55 > regexs that can be used on /proc/pci to determine installed hardware? I
56 > know we can ascertain ide or scsi by looking at /proc/partions.
57 Look at /usr/share/hwdata/pcitable from hwdata-knoppix, that provides
58 the PCI stuff.
61 Robin Hugh Johnson
62 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
63 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
64 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
65 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85