From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Optimizing toe stepping
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 15:23:27
1 On Thu, 3 Nov 2016 21:49:16 +0000 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 05:36:03PM -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 > > On Thursday, November 3, 2016 9:14:56 AM EDT William Hubbs wrote:
4 > I have posted about this subject before, and I'll go and dust off the
5 > proposal with the last changes added, when I have time soon hopefully.
6 >
7 > > > I am also in favor of the metadata approach.
8 > > The only downfall is you end up with lots of package/developer specific
9 > > policies which may become complex and a nuisance. It is likely better to have
10 > > more of a global policy.
11 > Sure, global policies help (as a sane default), but being able to tell
12 > people the most common cases is important:
13 > 1. Yes, touch it, but please ask me (DEFAULT, including timeout value)
14 > 2. Yes, go ahead and touch this package, and don't ask me
15 > 3. danger will robinson! this is fragile!
16 >
17 > I'm going to set #2 on the great majority of the 200+ packages that I
18 > directly maintain.
19 >
20 > Make it easy to open a package up to MORE changes, and hard to restrict.
21
22 Looks like a reasonable approach. Probably it is worth to set
23 global policy describing these options and setting default
24 value. Should this issue be discussed with the council now?
25
26 As for implementation, repoman checks accepting this field should
27 be added, and skel.metadata.xml may be updated. I see no other
28 required changes, though I may miss something.
29
30 Best regards,
31 Andrew Savchenko