From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Feedback req: Confirm/thank on bug fix or is that unwanted bug spam?
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 19:31:03
1 On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 18:32 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 00:34:39 +0000 (UTC)
3 > Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 > > When I open or CC on a bug that then gets fixed, I often feel like
6 > > adding a thanks to the bug. However, while it may be polite in other
7 > > circumstances, in this case it could be viewed as bug spam, so I've
8 > > hesitated.
9 >
10 > Thanks isn't spam to me ... we don't get enough of it, and it's
11 > certainly worth an email or two per bug.
12
13 Right. As Donnie says, it is definitely appreciated. I'd still
14 recommend a direct email over a bug comment simply because of the
15 reduced overhead on our mail servers. It is pretty rare that a bug only
16 sends email to one person. Anything more than that and it's being
17 wasteful of resources. After all, if it is your bug, both you and the
18 developer will get the email, which means our mail system has to process
19 two emails, rather than just the one sent from you to the dev directly.
20
21 I definitely don't want to discourage anyone from giving thanks if they
22 want. Hell, I don't even want to discourage people from doing it in bug
23 comments. I'd just recommend that they rather do it in a direct email,
24 instead.
27 Chris Gianelloni
28 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
29 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
30 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
31 Gentoo Foundation