From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Dreaded herd tag
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 06:14:26
1 субота, 28. жовтень 2006 05:23, David Shakaryan Ви написали:
2 > Alec Warner wrote:
3 > > I request that this tag be made optional in the metadata.xml DTD.
4 >
5 > ++
6 >
7 > In my opinion, an empty tag or one with "no-herd" is rather silly when
8 > the requirement for the tag can just be removed.
9 Which is exactly why these are disallowed. Or at least that was the original
10 intention, which (unfortunately) was not enforced strong enough. But then,
11 given that we started with *no herds at all*, I don't see how it would be
12 possible to realistically enforce from the beginning. Now it looks like we
13 are actually strating to "get there". Besides, there is no "no-herd" tag, no
14 matter what excuses people putting it in the metadata come up with.
15
16 > The alternative is, of course, requiring every package to belong to a
17 > real herd.
18 Which is exactly the case. This is the policy, as it was set from the
19 introduction of herds. Unfortunately, as I said, because it was technically
20 infeasible right from the beginning, it was not vigorously enforced, but, as
21 Mike, mentioned, there is no reason we cannot finally start doing this now.
22
23 > Although this is not impossible, it would be quite hard to
24 > implement as quite a few packages do not really fit into any existing
25 > category, as you mentioned in #-dev. Also, someone will have to go
26 > through the ~2000 packages and figure out what herd they belong to,
27 > which seems like a strenuous job.
28 What is it now < 20%? Phew. I am sure treecleaners would tell you that their
29 estimate of "stale" ebuilds in portage goes over that percentage ;). Besides,
30 in the beginning unherded ebuilds were at 100%.
31
32 One of the reasons herds were introduced was to explicitly see what packages
33 lack maintenance. It is possible for the ebuild to be in the herd, but be
34 supported by the developer not on the herd. See the <role> tag. Also, there
35 can be one-dev herds.
36
37 George
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list