From: Mikey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: bootstrapping since gcc 3.4 is stable
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 15:46:01
1 On Thursday 26 January 2006 08:06, Chris Gianelloni spammed:
2
3 > > The difference in doing from stage1 instead of stage3 is you don't have
4 > > to go through a gcc migration to prevent your build from being
5 > > unusable. You also go through 1 gcc upgrade (gcc 3.3.5 -> gcc 3.4.4),
6 > > not 3 (3.3.5 -> 3.3.6 -> 3.4.4). We are talking reality here, not
7 > > fantasy.
8 >
9 > You don't have to go through the whole migration to work from a stage3,
10 > either. Just because *you* did doesn't mean it is required, in any way.
11
12 No you don't. Except for the first time I ran an update immediately after
13 it came out and I was, in fact, switched over to the new gcc, in spite of
14 what the documentation said. All I did was an emerge -u system. I noticed
15 it happened to several other users in the forums as well.
16
17 So as long as you are not inadvertently switched over to the new gcc or know
18 not to switch over to it without going to the migration guide, everything
19 should be peachy.
20
21 Will gcc-3.4.4 be required in the 2006.0 profile?