From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Random items I'd like to discuss
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 18:09:36
1 On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 08:38:10 +0100
2 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Multiply number of dep types (build, run, install, compile against,
4 > > post, probably more) by number of requirement levels (required,
5 > > suggested, recommended) by number of ABI combinations by number of
6 > > system combinations by whatever else ends up being useful.
7 >
8 > I'm against suggested and recommended. I don't like it in debian and I
9 > won't like it in gentoo. the rest shouldn't interest an ebuild by
10 > itself but should be handled by the package manager.
11
12 The package manager can't. It needs to be told -- there's no way to
13 guess up front (or, indeed, after the fact) what dependencies really
14 are.
15
16 > bad users of tools are always present, by itself autotools gives
17 > support and usually works out of box.
18
19 No, autotools doesn't give support. It doesn't, for example, have any
20 way of generating source files using a program that's part of the
21 package that requires a library that's part of the package. The sad
22 fact is, no matter how you use autotools in non-trivial cases you'll
23 end up breaking *something*, and cross compiling is the least visible
24 thing to break.
25
26 > > Tree branching will very quickly become unmanageable. Users will be
27 > > forced to choose a branch, but useful features will be spread across
28 > > different branches.
29 >
30 > Only if you don't manage it correctly.
31 >
32 > I know what I'm doing on linux and it is _quite_ branched.
33
34 That's because things get merged in quickly...
37 Ciaran McCreesh