From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UEFI secure boot and Gentoo
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 00:03:30
1 On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 01:48:05AM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 120614 Greg KH wrote:
3 > > So, anyone been thinking about this? I have, and it's not pretty.
4 > > Should I worry about this and how it affects Gentoo
5 > > or not worry about Gentoo right now and just focus on the other issues?
6 > > Minor details like, "do we have a 'company' that can pay Microsoft
7 > > to sign our bootloader?" is one aspect from the non-technical side.
8 > > I did a lot of UEFI secure boot work in the past at SUSE
9 > > and should be soon a member of the UEFI "organization"
10 > > through my work at the Linux Foundation, so I do have a basic grasp
11 > > of the issues involved and have a chance to get changes made,
12 > > if needed and possible, to the spec itself.
13 >
14 > Does this affect those of us who build our own machines ?
15
16 Yes, it will be on your new motherboard in a matter of months.
17
18 > Is there likely to be any Gentoo user
19 > who is reluctant to change the default BIOS setting ?
20
21 Probably lots.
22
23 > How can UEFI be required for Arm without running into anti-trust ?
24
25 Different countries have different rules here.
26
27 > How far is this basically a problem for those in the USA,
28 > the rest of us having a different attitude to security issues ?
29
30 Everyone in all countries are going to have to deal with this, as all
31 motherboard manufacturers are going to be supporting this by the end of
32 this year at the latest, due to the Windows 8 requirements.
33
34 greg k-h