From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub and preloading modules
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:51:13
1 On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 12:49:32AM -0800, rick philbrick wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > So many questions to ask.. I'll choose just one today.
5 >
6 > I am trying to get sw/raid (RAID 1) on a gentoo box w/
7 > 2 ide channels to boot up as a mirrored disk array. I
8 > have read thru Howtos and noticed that they discuss
9 > the passing of options thru lilo. But since gentoo
10 > uses GRUB and not lilo how am I going to make this
11 > work?
12
13 You shouldn't need to pass any options. All you need to
14 do is make sure that once your RAID-1 root filesystem is
15 created and mounted that you copy your /etc/raidtab to
16 /mnt/gentoo/etc/raidtab, and that after the chroot process
17 you compile a new kernel and install it (with RAID-support
18 built-in) before you unmount all filesystems and reboot.
19
20 As long as your RAID partition has partition type "FD",
21 it'll be detected and started automatically at boot time.
22 Just use this line for GRUB:
23
24 kernel root=/dev/md0
25
26 ...and you should be all set. Of course, I haven't gone
27 into detail and haven't tried it myself, but it should work.
28 I should be able to try this in VMware in the next few days
29 and add the necessary steps to the install guide.
30
31 Best Regards,
34 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
35 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org