From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Weird system time issue
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 05:07:55
1 On Thursday 18 July 2002 00:11, Michael Mattsson wrote:
2 > On July 17, 2002 05:10 am, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > > Did you also try to remove /etc/adjtime. This file gets written by the
4 > > hwclock utility and is supposed to help in autoadjusting your hardware
5 > > clock to the real time (clocks are never entirely correct). Also (as I
6 > > posted earlier) using rdate (or ntpdate for that matter) not at boot
7 > > breaks things. Specially with cron as it's whole time system gets
8 > > confused.
9 >
10 > No. But I did notice that when i set the system to use "localtime" instead
11 > of "UTC", the problem does not appear.
14 That looks like an adjtime problem (which timezone are you, the further from
15 gmt the bigger the problems). Basically what you want to do is first decide
16 whether you store your time in UTC or in localtime (the latter if you run
17 windows, else the first). Then set the computer time correct (ntpdate for
18 example). Then set the hardware clock correct (yes you have two clocks) using
19 "hwclock --utc --systohc" for utc and "hwclock --localtime --systohc" for
20 localtime. Next delete the /etc/adjtime file so the system will start to zero
21 with correcting your computer time to systematic drift (that is not really
22 nescesarry if you have ntpd anyway)
23
24 Paul
27 Paul de Vrieze