From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: pr@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New eselect news item for X11 on alphas
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 07:00:37
1 Hi!
2
3 See below. For a little more background:
4 http://blog.i-no.de/archives/2009/06/28/index.html#e2009-06-28T13_54_50.txt
5 Also note the glibc part of the same post. Maybe that'd warrant a news
6 item, too? What do the toolchain guys think?
7
8 As for my news item, what I'm not entirely sure about are the Displa-If-
9 headers (What I'm aiming for is to reach people who have installed *either*
10 xorg-x11 (and thus -server) or just xorg-server on any alpha profile)
11 Also, the last paragraph might reek a bit of politics, but I'm quite
12 comfortable with placing pressure on the Xorg guys via users.
13
14 Title: xorg-x11-7.4 and xorg-server-1.5 kernel support
15 Author: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
16 Content-Type: text/plain
17 Posted:
18 Revision: 1
19 News-Item-Format: 1.0
20 Display-If-Installed: x11-base/xorg-x11
21 Display-If-Installed: x11-base/xorg-server
22 Display-If-Profile: default-linux/alpha
23 Display-If-Profile: default/linux/alpha
24
25 Recent versions of xorg's X11 require kernel support to access PCI and
26 AGP graphic cards. This support has only recently been added to the
27 Linux kernel (vanilla-sources-2.6.30 and gentoo-sources-2.6.29-r5).
28 Thus, you will need to run a recent enough kernel to use recent versions
29 of X11 on an alpha. If you only start programs on your alpha, but the
30 display is on another machine, no upgrade is necessary.
31
32 Furthermore, not all graphics card drivers have been updated to work
33 with the newer X server API. One example is the glint driver used for
34 Permedia cards. The upstream developers have been informed about this,
35 but nothing has happened so far.
40 We are sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary.
41 Please rotate your phone 90 degrees and try again.