From: Jason Rhinelander <jason@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ANN: broken-up kde ebuilds (aka 'emerge kmail')
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:59:03
1 Roman Gaufman wrote:
2 > err, DO_NOT_COMPILE="kmail" in /etc/make.conf does just that, and
3 > supports every package or even service KDE has to offer. Feel free to
4 > not compile ksmserver or kinit as well -- this will break things, but
5 > the fact is, gentooists always had the possibility to do this!
6
7 Can you explain to me how this obviously wonderful feature would help me
8 install *just* konqueror? Would I need to add DO_NOT_COMPILE with a
9 list as long as my arm to exclude everything in kde except for
10 konqueror? Perhaps someone could write a script to manage my
11 DO_NOT_COMPILE variable as more applications are included in KDE and
12 need to be excluded.
13
14 You've missed the entire point of the feature - it isn't about being
15 able to remove certain parts of kde, it's about being able to install
16 only selective parts of KDE.
17
18 > What exactly do you propose here? -- do you actually propose gentoo
19 > developers should split the metapackages into close to 100 ebuilds? --
20 > what gain over DO_NOT_COMPILE does this give?
21
22 It allows you to say "I want konqueror" instead of "I want kde without a
23 list of packages as long as my arm that includes everything in kde
24 except konqueror."
25
26 > How about putting this in the ebuilds:
27 > kmail? || DO_NOT_COMPILE="${DO_NOT_COMPILE} kmail"
28 > konqueror? || DO_NOT_COMPILE="$DO_NOT_COMPILE} konqueror"
29 > kdm? || DO_NOT_COMPILE="$DO_NOT_COMPILE kdm"
30 > ...
31 >
32 > I'm not in favor of this as this will make many extra use flags, but
33 > it still seems a far better solution than splitting the meta packages.
34
35 How so? DO_NOT_COMPILE is a rather dirty hack that this does a lot to
36 alleviate.
37
38 > its a popular question as you rightly said.
39
40 DO_NOT_COMPILE only addresses the "I want kde, but I don't want
41 konqueror" question, it does very little to address the "I want
42 konqueror, but I don't want kde" question. This does.
43
44 -- Jason Rhinelander
45 -- Gossamer Threads, Inc.
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list