From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: important fstab and localmount update, round 2
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2016 18:14:52
1 On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 1:53 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 01:30:56PM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 1:22 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >> > On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 12:52 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
5 >> >>
6 >> >> here is the new version of this news item.
7 >> >>
8 >> >
9 >> > Shouldn't this be conditional based on openrc being installed? I
10 >> > don't think other rc implementations are impacted.
11 >> >
12 >>
13 >> +1
14 >>
15 >> It would also be nice if the title had "OpenRC" in it, so that people
16 >> booting with systemd can more easily ignore it.
17 >
18 > Well, this is sort of a gray area, because the recommendation to use the
19 > new fstab syntax is in the fstab man page as well as being in the newest
20 > baselayout example fstab, so it really applies everywhere [1].
23 The man page does not suggest that this is a preference over using
24 udev device names. It only says they're preferred over the
25 traditional device names which are subject to change, which is
26 obviously good advice.
27
28 It makes sense that they wouldn't mention udev device names since
29 those are udev-specific. It doesn't mention recommendations for lvm
30 either, which makes sense since that would be udev-specific most
31 likely.
32
33 I haven't really seen anything that suggests that using udev device
34 names is in any way a deprecated behavior. It just doesn't work
35 reliably by default with openrc. And that is fine, but this hardly
36 seems like a util-linux issue.
37
38 The simple solution is to have it display only if openrc is installed
39 and make mention that this pertains to users of openrc. In practice
40 the former won't help as much until we fix the functions.sh bugs but
41 it still makes sense to do it.
44 Rich