From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New Manifest hashes and how to enable them
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2017 11:19:54
1 Michał Górny schrieb:
2 > I think the first reasonable change would be to deprecate SHA256. It is
3 > pretty much the same algorithm as SHA512, except for different
4 > parameters. It is weaker than SHA512, and SHA512 is supported on all
5 > existing platforms anyway.
6
7 I think there is nothing wrong or insecure with continuing to use
8 SHA256, even though it is technically weaker than SHA512. If it is
9 already included in all Manifests then keeping it as standard is
10 preferable I think.
11
12 Some people consider having a second dissimilar algorithm at hand a good
13 idea. I suggest SHA3 in that case.
14
15 manifest-hashes = SHA256 SHA3-256
18 Best regards,