From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The future of sys-apps/openrc in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 14:31:19
1 On 08/24/2010 08:57 AM, Thilo Bangert wrote:
2 > given how long, so far, it has taken openrc to reach stable, it is no
3 > wonder people start lobbying for systemd today. ;-)
4
5 Perhaps, but if we want to move in that direction perhaps we should
6 consider at least getting openrc stable first. That doesn't mean making
7 it perfect, or feature-complete. However, right now we have two
8 different baselayouts, and if we start talking about systemd then we'll
9 have three. Do we really want to start on seriously supporting a third
10 one, without first getting rid of one of the other two?
11
12 Alternatively we could dump openrc and move everybody back to
13 baselayout-1, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
14
15 Looking at the tracker bug, I see all of three issues blocking openrc
16 from going stable. One is documentation, one is getting an evms upgrade
17 stable on a few minor archs, and one is some kind of mdadm upgrade with
18 a few issues.
19
20 It seems like we should just make the next bugday "OpenRC Cleanup Day"
21 or something like that. Everybody can take 15 minutes to contribute to
22 a wiki on getting started with openrc, or blog about it, or whatever.
23 the docs team can glean the best of that and get the docs in order. The
24 evms/mdadm/arch maintainers could make a push to finish up, and others
25 can help them with patches.
26
27 If we made a real push to get OpenRC stable I'm sure that those bugs
28 would get taken care of quickly. Right now I'm guessing that it just
29 isn't on anybody's radar.
30
31 Or, is the situation with OpenRC less stable than is apparent in the
32 tracker?
33
34 Rich