From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] inetd/xinetd useflags
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:21:27
1 Time for cleanups in Gentoo/FreeBSD.. we already disabled inetd building in
2 our latest ebuilds, but that isn't exactly sorted out for a reason: I don't
3 know how to deal with xinetd.
4
5 Let me summarize:
6
7 inetd is the old-unix-insecure implementation that it's usually used.
8 xinetd is a (drop-in?) replacement for it which is now used by quite everyone
9 who wants an inetd-style daemons.
10
11 Now the problem is: I don't really know how inetd/xinetd works, I just used
12 them some time ago to have a cvs pserver, but that was a very long time ago.
13 Right now, we have a couple of packages with xinetd useflag, one with inetd
14 useflag, and others which doesn't care and just installs the configuration
15 file unconditionally:
16
17 flame@enterprise ~ $ grep inetd devel/gentoo-x86/profiles/use.*
18 devel/gentoo-x86/profiles/use.local.desc:dev-db/firebird:inetd - If you want
19 inetd version instead of a superserver (daemon)
20 devel/gentoo-x86/profiles/use.local.desc:net-ftp/proftpd:xinetd - Enable
21 support for starting from xinetd
22 devel/gentoo-x86/profiles/use.local.desc:net-ftp/vsftpd:xinetd - Add support
23 for running under xinetd
24 devel/gentoo-x86/profiles/use.local.desc:net-mail/qpopper:xinetd - If you want
25 inetd version instead of standalone
26 devel/gentoo-x86/profiles/use.local.desc:net-misc/linux-identd:xinetd - Use
27 xinetd instead of the initscript
28 flame@enterprise ~ $ ls /etc/xinetd.d/
29 cups-lpd cvspserver svnserve swat telnetd
30
31 so what we should do?
32 Add a global xinetd useflag and a doxinetd function to add/remove the
33 installed config files?
34 Yeah i know they aren't so big.. but "the less, the best".
37 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
38 Gentoo Developer - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
39 (Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Gentoo/AMD64, Sound, PAM)