From: Caleb Shay <caleb@××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] torrent support in portage
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 20:14:26
1 I've been giving a lot of thought about how to deal with things like the
2 mirror rush we had when kde-3.1 was released, and we got downgraded to
3 second-class citizens on ibiblio :), or releases of new ISOs. I think
4 I've come up with a workable solution, easy to implement in portage, but
5 it would require an infrastructure addition. We could add bittorrent
6 (http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/) support for larger packages. I say
7 larger packages, because bittorrent doesn't work well for small files.
8 Here is what I envision it entailing.
9
10 A bittorrent server (this is the infrastructure part), that maintains
11 torrents of the larger packages (I define larger as 20MB+), such as
12 XFree.
13
14 Additional FEATURE:
15 bittorrent
16
17 Additional var in ebuilds:
18 TORRENT_URI=http://torrent.gentoo.org/${A}.torrent
19
20 (though, seeing as how we already have the file name, and therefore, the
21 torrent file name, it could just as easily be HAS_TORRENT=1, or maybe we
22 just maintain a database of which packages have torrents available that
23 portage checks)
24
25 What happens now is, if the user has the bittorrent FEATURE enabled, AND
26 has bittorrent installed (much like what is required to use the ccache
27 feature), and the package has a torrent available, we can then use
28 btdownloadheadless.py or btdownloadcurses.py to download the file (ie,
29 btdownloadheadl.py --url http://torrent.gentoo.org/${A}.torrent --saveas
30 /usr/portage/distfiles/${A}). This takes load off of the download
31 mirrors, and helps everybody achieve maximum bandwidth while
32 downloading.
33
34 Any thoughts?
35