From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper initramfs in the handbook?
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 11:50:20
1 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 >
3 > Again, not all of us are willing to migrate away from a separate /usr
4 > partition, least of all when that is being "imposed" by some people
5 > trying to "shove" their pet projects to others and when we don't agree
6 > with or acknowledge the arguments.
10 +1
11
12 From a users perspective. Could it not be possible to have some USE
13 flag, or other setting, that would tell portage that a separate /usr
14 partition is being used then have the needed files placed elsewhere on /
15 ? I'm not a dev and I don't play one on TV but I do like options and
16 being able to customize some things. It is one of the things Gentoo is
17 about.
18
19 I find it sort of ironic that I was planning to redo my partitions and
20 have a separate /usr and now finding out that it is basically no longer
21 a option on Gentoo. At least I am reading this now instead of
22 afterwards. No, initramfs is not something I want to have to deal with
23 either.
24
25 Dale
26