From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] An official Gentoo wiki
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:04:13
1 Josh Saddler wrote:
2 > It takes time and effort to produce one of our polished, professional
3 > documents. That's duplicating the time and effort that it takes to write
4 > a decent wiki article -- pointless duplication.
5 >
6 > One of the things I'm hearing from just about every other user and
7 > developer is that users would be providing the peer review necessary to
8 > keep documents at a general level of quality. This means "let the wiki
9 > live its wiki life," which means there's no need to reformat the article
10 > as something else. If it's a decent wiki article, then it should stand
11 > on its own merits....as a wiki article, nothing else. It's a community
12 > contributed article on the community-contributed resource. That's where
13 > it belongs.
14 >
15 > Most folks have said they're okay with official Gentoo documentation and
16 > a second community-contributed resource (that may not be as accurate,
17 > tested, readable, etc.) So keep that system around. If you want to jot
18 > up a quick howto, or an article filled with individual speculation and
19 > anecdotes, keep it on the wiki. If you want a doc to be considered *the*
20 > authority on its subject (such as
21 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xfce-config.xml ;)), maintained by Gentoo
22 > developers, then submit it to the GDP via bugzilla, or provide updates
23 > to one of the docs we already have.
24 >
25 > There really is no reason why we can't have this split. There's no need
26 > to XMLify every halfway decent wiki article just because it's so much
27 > better than everything else on the wiki. Trying to do so involves an
28 > inordinate number of work hours and staff that we just don't have, not
29 > to mention greatly raising the existing maintainer burden.
30
31 ++ Good plan.
32
33 -Joe