From: Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please don't use IUSE=static-libs unless really necessary
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 16:39:29
1 On 09:10 Mon 19 Sep 2011, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 18:39:32 -0400
3 > Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Sunday, September 18, 2011 18:16:30 Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
6 > > > On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
7 > > > > '$(use_enable static-libs static)' themselves. While at it, it
8 > > > > may be better to just drop the flag if no other package relies on
9 > > > > it and no user has ever requested the static build of that
10 > > > > package.
11 > > >
12 > > > I don't see any harm with including IUSE="static-libs" for every
13 > > > package that has working/usable static libraries[1]. Why wait for
14 > > > users to request it on bugzilla when it's a near-zero-cost and
15 > > > zero-maintenance to add it to ebuilds?
16 > >
17 > > i missed this sentence from Michał's e-mail. unconditionally not
18 > > building static libraries is against policy. if you install shared
19 > > libs that get linked against, then you must provide static libraries
20 > > unconditionally as well or support IUSE=static-libs. maintainers do
21 > > not get to choose "no one has asked for it and no one in the tree is
22 > > using it thus my ebuild isnt going to". -mike
23 >
24 > Where is that policy? AFAIK the policy was to 'follow upstream'
25
26 Really? For scientific libraries this means 'static only'.
27
28 Cheers,
29 Thomas
30
31 > which
32 > usually means 'shared only'. I really don't see a reason to build
33 > static libtorrent as upstream even doesn't support static linking.
34 >
35 > --
36 > Best regards,
37 > Michał Górny