From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: djc@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Python problem
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 08:21:31
1 On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 10:04:58 +0200
2 Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 21:31, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Working targets. USE_PYTHON is junk. What python.eclass does now
6 > > with ABIs is a PITA, and requires manually providing a lot of
7 > > redudant information (namely, RESTRICT_PYTHON_ABIS).
8 >
9 > Please clarify *why* it is a PITA, and what information is redundant.
10
11 Let's put it like that. I have package foo which support py2 and py3.
12 It depends on package bar which once supported py3 but the newest
13 version is known to be broken with py3, and thus breaks building my
14 package as well.
15
16 And right now there's no real way to handle that dependency. With
17 SLOT-USEdeps I could do 'bar[py3=]'. With current state of Python
18 eclass I have to restrict ABIs to match newer version and/or restrict
19 dependency versions which is awfully redundant.
20
21 > > I'd like to see that fixed somehow. I'd like to set a single
22 > > supported Python version information in an ebuild, and let the
23 > > dependency resolver handle everything else.
24 >
25 > That would be bad; it's common and useful to have packages installed
26 > in both 2.6 and 2.7 (and even 3.1).
27
28 I think you misunderstood me. I mean generating the whole dependency
29 tree from support Python versions. Like dropping version info from
30 PYTHON_DEPEND in favor of RESTRICT_PYTHON_ABIS.
33 Best regards,
34 Michał Górny