From: Eldad Zack <eldad@××××××××××××××.cx>
To: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] locking user accounts doesn't really lock them.
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 11:55:15
1 On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 01:55:13PM -0800 or thereabouts, Kevyn Shortell wrote:
4 > > It's often overlooked but a much easier method for locking a user out is
5 > > simply to change their default shell to /bin/false or something like it.
6 > > SSH keys or not, they won't be getting access to the box anytime soon
7 > > without a default shell.
8 >
9 > A valid point, but iirc, this still allows the user to do things which
10 > don't require an interactive shell. (scp, for instance)
11
12 I don't think that is the case - actually, I've managed to break scp by
13 changing bashrc output.
14
15 scp does require the user to have a valid shell.
18 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list