From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Current state of arm and arm64 architecture in Gentoo Linux
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 18:21:32
1 Ühel kenal päeval, E, 30.04.2018 kell 18:11, kirjutas Robin H. Johnson:
2 > On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 07:39:59PM +0800, Pengcheng Xu wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > I'm currently working on my Gentoo GSoC project (
6 > > https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/#5132157995974656 ),
7 > > and
8 > > I'm wondering what's the current work state of Gentoo Linux's arm
9 > > architecture. The last stage3 tarball update date was 20161127,
10 > > and,
11 > > as it's quite dated compared to popular architectures (e.g. amd64),
12 > > does that mean the architecture is no longer actively maintained
13 > > anymore?
14 > >
15 > > And I've read about the arm64 architecture for Gentoo Linux. Is
16 > > that still considered experimental for now?
17 >
18 > The date of the stage3 tarball is mostly a function of lack time in
19 > working on the host for the automated catalyst builds.
20 >
21 > Specifically, spinning up stuff at Packet.net's ARM64 servers,
22 > bootstrapped in Gentoo from their Ubuntu/Debian offerings.
23 >
24 > Packages are definitely being tested & keyworded for arm64.
25
26 2016 old official stages are for arm 32bit. arm64 stages are less than
27 2 months old. Been working on stabilization queue, so the next built
28 stage would actually have updates :)
29
30 Regarding arm (where things are too outdated): there are newer
31 unofficial stages out there from non-developers, but official builds
32 have stalled.
33
34 Using those servers for arm32 stage builds could be interesting though
35 to get something out properly when hand-built, but I make a point of
36 staying hands off of arm32 (there's only so many hours in a day), so I
37 don't even know if it'd be anything similarly easy like x86 on amd64 hw
38 is.
39 If it is, I might be able to do the necessary commands to get it done,
40 when someone helps handle the issues that come up.
41
42 More details from arm64 side in a couple days hopefully, if still
43 needed.
46 Mart