From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: src_configure
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 10:59:49
1 Sven Wegener posted <20050707000403.GG20687@×××××××××××××××××.net>,
2 excerpted below, on Thu, 07 Jul 2005 02:04:04 +0200:
3
4 > We would like to split up src_compile. The new src_configure should just
5 > do the econf part and src_compile should do the emake part. This
6 > represents the general 3-step[1] installation in a much better way.
7 >
8 > [1] ./configure && make && make install
9
10 HALLELUJAH and much rejoicing! The current combined configure/make step
11 frustrated me from the first time I looked at it. I couldn't figure out
12 (and still can't) why a step-by-step modularized system, ostensibly
13 designed to allow local customization and troubleshooting, would combine
14 those two into a single step. However, being a lowly user, new to Gentoo
15 at the time, I figured there had to be some major reason for ignoring
16 something so obvious, and just lived with it, by doing ebuild unpack, then
17 manually running the configure and make steps separately if needed, before
18 finishing up with ebuild package and then emerge --packageonly.
19
20 If the change is going to be implemented, please do so using something
21 similar to the current tracking system, whereby if a step is done
22 manually, one can simply touch a .action file to tell portage about it,
23 and have it continue with the next step. (This bit me with the current
24 compile and .compiled file step, because the compile step does more than
25 compile, creating some metadata files as well. I ended up creating a
26 local portage patch that I faithfully apply to each update, that allows me
27 to run the compile step without doing the actual compile, just updating
28 the metadata, so that it gets packed into the binpkg correctly, even when
29 I did the actual compile manually. A second local portage patch makes
30 ebuild skip the install step if the .installed file is there.
31 Unfortunately, while ebuild creates the file, it doesn't skip that step
32 if it exists, as it does with .unpacked, .compiled, etc.)
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
38 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list